View Single Post
Blackcat31 02:57 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I "know" you too well to take offense at anything you'd say.

I'm a bit surprised at the plagiocephaly though. I thought that flat on the back on a hard surface would be much worse for that. I had the idea (just my own thinking) that the rounded positioning of the Rock n Play would help prevent.

We are thinking of the same thing, right?

And btw, I sleep infants < abt 5 mths in line of sight. But 5-8 months I started using the Rock n Play in the Fall.
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
On a flat surface, not strapped or wrapped, the head is free to move at will, especially in the case of rebreathing expired air; slow suffocation. http://cjfirstcandle.org/wp-content/...on_Dioxide.pdf

They should be able to roll over and spin around. Being strapped in one position is bad for development but worse as a risk for SUIDS/Positional Asphyxia. https://thestir.cafemom.com/parentin...r-seat-daycare

It is simply not something I'd ever recommend for sleep.
The manufacturer says the Rock and Play is meant to be used for infants unable to roll over or unable to pull up which ever comes first.

A consumer posted on their website asking how it meets APA safe sleep standards and they replied with:

Mattel Consumer Services:

"We can assure you that the Rock ‘n Play Sleeper is safe for inclined sleep, including overnight sleep, when used according to the instructions. And we understand it can be confusing to hear an American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation that may seem to conflict with a product designed for inclined sleep. But maybe this will help clarify: what the AAP states is that sitting devices—car seats, strollers, swings, infant carriers and infant slings—are not recommended for routine sleep in the hospital or at home.
The Rock ‘n Play Sleeper is not a sitting device—it is a product specifically designed for inclined sleep. As such, it meets all applicable industry safety standards, including those of the international standards organization known as the ASTM. We hope that clears up any confusion you may have had. Of course, we encourage you to talk with your pediatrician about what’s right for your child."

However, I think it's important to note that is use by a parent. Not use in child care centers or in home care.

My state would never allow me to use a Rock and Play for sleep.

It's important to note as well that the Rock and Play instructions/paperwork included in the box state that regular floor time is recommended and parents should never allow baby to stay in the Rock and Play for extended periods of time. They even list sleeping as only 6 hours.

I think it gets confusing for parents to know if it is or isn't safe and the information I've read about it seems to be conflicting on every site.

As a child care provider I wouldn't use one.