View Single Post
daysofelijah 08:16 AM 07-14-2010
Hello this is my first post here, glad to have found this place!

I have had a new problem come up. I have a daycare parent who wants to pull their children out for the month of August and have her older children watch them. Normally I would give her a week of vacation and then make her pay for two days a week whether they came or not for the rest of the month.
Unfortunately with the economy how it is and so many providers doing what they can to fill spots, I would probably lose them. Of course there is no way I can fill their two spots for just a month so I do want to charge at least something. I was thinking $50/month per child to hold the spots. Does this sound reasonable?

I found something someone posted here formwise and came up with this (thank you to the provider who posted it btw!)

In order to hold my/our child(ren's) spot(s) in Amy’s Day Care longer than two weeks I/we understand a non-refundable holding fee of $50 per child within five days of acceptance, which will hold a spot for my/our child(ren) for a total of 1 month, if additional time is needed I/we will pay an additional $50 per child for each additional month needed. I/we also understand that If for any reason the child fails to start when expected, the deposit will be forfeited as holding fees, as will the holding spot.

Provider’s Agreement

If parents honor above agreement, Amy’s Day Care will hold a spot for their child(ren) until the child(ren)’s starting date. Should circumstances arise where Amy *** is not able/willing to care for the child after all, she will refund all normally non-refundable holding fee payments.

I/we are planning on our child(ren) beginning in childcare on/in ______________ . If child does not start by above date, without discussing this with Amy **** and upon our agreement - this agreement is null and void.

The parent also said she will be taking out for the whole summer next year so this will set a precedent that they will have to pay to hold the spot next year as well if I decide to keep them. I had a teacher's child for a few years who I didn't charge for summers off, but I was able to fill the spot with a school age child for the summer so no income was lost on my part. So if for some reason I could fill the spots next summer I wouldn't charge the holding fee.

I find myself more and more frustrated with the nickle and diming I am going through. I know parents are trying to save money, but I am going to be looking for a job soon at the rate my parents are dropping days, hours and even months now!