View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 09:54 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by safechner:
Really!!! That is not true! My daughter don't wear hearing aids because she HATES it! I am not going force her to wear it. She is very happy child and she loves her life! The form is NOT necessary! If someone give me like this and I would be very mad!

Just give parent some time and she will need to learn to accept her child being deaf and she probably will learn sign language to communicate with her child. As far as I know there are so many hearing parents with deaf children and they are too lazy or refused to learn sign language. Deaf children will hate their parents when they get older. Some parents dont want to tell someone about their children who has hearing loss because they dont want them to feel sorry for them. That is probably why parent dont want to tell her in the first place. Truth is, there are so many hearing people feel sorry for deaf people because they think they cant do anything which is not true. I dont care what others think about me. I dont give a **** about them. I have a wonderful life with my family. My hearing family love me when they get know me when I used to take care of their children for 12 years.
Defensive much? Lol

You have NO idea if the form is necessary or not. My state actually requires the SAME form and would require it for the EXACT same reasons as OP stated.

Just because your state or all states don't require the form doesn't mean some don't.

Just like some states require lots of enrollment forms and others don't.

Just like some food programs let parents opt out their kids but my feeding program does NOT allow even ME to opt out my OWN kids. Frustrating sure!! But reality nonetheless.

My daughter has mild hearing loss due to constant ear infections as a child. It didn't resolve with multiple sets of tubes but it isn't bad enough to affect her daily life.

My state requires a special need form for ANY CONDITION, MENTAL OR PHYSICAL, THAT AFFECTS A CHILD IN ANY ASPECT OF THEIR EVERY DAY LIFE.

that's quoted btw.

For instance.. One child may have hearing loss but it's not major enough to affect every day activities. But if that child requires hearing aids, special speech therapy, or has issues with communicating etc, its considered SPECIAL NEEDS. It doesn't mean they are deaf or anything else. It simply means they need a care plan to assist them. Such as hearing aids. Such as speech therapy. If ANYTHING has to be done different or special to accommodate that child. It's SPECIAL NEEDS.

Special needs doesn't mean they are near death or stupid or less than. It means they get the special care and help that they need in order to gets the help ey need to grow and thrive.

I have a special needs daughter and a special needs daycare girl. The daycare girl is actually disabled defined by lots of conditions. But she doesn't get treated disabled but lots of accommodations have to be made to be sure she gets e care she needs.

It's one thing and understandable fore parents to still be in denial. I was in that denial train once too. But in the end, the child is too young to understand and is having delays because of it. The child isn't capable yet of deciding if they want to wear hearing aids and etc etc. it's e parents job to do what's BEST for the child, regardless of their denial. And denial can't be used as an excuse forever. In the end, it's the child who is going to suffer.

And not EVERY child who is hearing impaired has speech and other delays. But this one does. Personally it's awesome that this provider is trying to do what's best for this child.

And regardless of parental denial, this child DOES deserve to be able to communicate, one way or the other. And since we don't know how much hearing or what this child's diagnosis or prognosis is, as a provider I would ABSOLUTELY insist to see the medical documentation so that I could do everything in my power to help this child.

While I agree at some point this child may not want to use hearing aids. But, at the age this child is, it's the parents job to at least assist this child on how to communicate. Refusing the child that right is a type of abuse IMHO.

It's a different story for a parent to use the aids, take the child to speech or other experts to help the child learn how to communicate and then at some point allow the child to decide they don't want to use the aids and rather do signing instead or use some other form of communication. But it isn't happening like that.

The provider wouldn't have to speculate about how to help the child if she had the dr reports from the parents.

In the end I think it's unfair to be rude to this provider when it seems THEY are the only one even trying to help this child. And KUDOS to you op for caring as you do. But realistically, this mom isn't ready to come out of denial and step outside of themselves long enough to help this child and may not any time soon be ready.

I agree, advertise and be ready to fill her spot. We can only hope this child gets e help they need before too much developmental damage is done.