View Single Post
daycarediva 03:37 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have very similar policies.
I require a doctor's note WITH diagnosis prior to returning to care.

This is NOT a HIPAA violation as the parent is asking the doctor to fill out the form themselves. The parent can give permission for anything they want regarding their medical information.

The only issue I see is you as the provider talking directly to the doctor. Unless the doctor has some sort of written permission from the parent, he/she IS violating HIPAA rules by disclosing that information.

More information about HIPAA

Another thread about HIPAA
YES, all of this.

Sorry, but this mom is full of crap OP. She just didn't want to give you the note and will be saying "the dr refused to put a diagnosis this time due to HIPAA" when the child has a contagious/condition you would exclude for.

Originally Posted by Play Care:
Eh, I disagree. Doctors write "return to care" notes all.the.time. for illnesses that we generally exclude for. They don't have to deal with the sick child all day and don't realize (or care) what an imposition it is on a provider who has several other kiddos in care whilst caring for an unwell child. And maybe some of those other kids have conditions that wouldn't jive with the illness that kid has.
We've had providers here have to turn clients away, even as the client was waving the "return to care" note in their face, as it was clear the child was too ill to be at day care.
For me a return to care notice usually isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Yep, don't trust doctors to follow best practice. The worst parents I have ever had in care have been medical professionals. One pediatrician was the WORST in questioning my illness policy. Dope and drops, him trying to write me notes, sending child with obvious pink eye, 12 hours after vomiting WITH diarrhea, etc.

JUST had a child with strep throat. Diagnosed Monday with fast acting strep, prescribed antibiotics, and left with a return to care THAT DAY note. "Child was seen in my office and may return to childcare 2/26/2018." Thankfully the parent laughed that off and kept child home. She returns TODAY.