View Single Post
nannyde 10:07 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
2ndFamilyDC, I am also in MN and we are allowed to use these items.

I see no problem with them and have used them with various infants/toddlers through the years. Obviously, my first choice is floor time for the babies but if I had a particularly cranky or unhappy infant/toddler, you can bet your bottom dollar that equipment like these things were used as necessary.

I have not had a bowlegged kid or developmental problem come up because of these things either, but I am sure it is because the infants/toddlers who I used these things for weren't in them every waking second.

I feel bad for providers in some states that are so limited on the things they can and cannot do in regards to common sense. I am simply glad that MN still has some faith in the choices that the daycare providers here make.
When I first heard about California and Georgias regs on the equipment my first thought was how rediculous it was. I use the exersaucers and they are WONDERFUL. I have old school one built like a tank with a big lip, fixed toys, soft cushy seats, and three levels for adjustment. The highest level will accomodate up to the average twelve month old.

But after watching Center cameras for nearly a year... I can honestly see why they make these regs. If you don't stay on the workers like white on rice they will leave the kids in there for a really really long time. Swings and any kind of confinement equipment are used SO much.

Even with exact rules and exact employee specific training.. they will NOT mind the time. They base in and outs on one thing... crying. If the kid isn't crying they leave them where they don't cry.

I can honestly imagine that a lot of providers use these kinds of pieces for long periods of time based on whether or not the kid cries. The other issue which is also HUGE is not keeping the mobile kids OFF of the equipment. Allowing older kids to climb on it and play with the fixed toys puts the equipment at risk for breaking down and the child who is in them at risk for being a target by the older kids. Because they are chest/belly level for the older kids they are a natural draw. The fact that they bounce is an even bigger draw.

So add those to the fact that equipment nowadays is made SO poorly, so shallow, with bad materials... and the adults are doing whatever they can to have no crying... and supervision of both the baby and the older kids can easily be challenged... you have the perfect storm of risk to the baby.

I train ALL the kids to leave the seats alone. They aren't allowed to touch them period. The babies aren't allowed to be in them for more than 15-20 minutes and we use them ONLY when it's to the benefit of the baby. For example when we are getting seven kids in full winter gear... once the babies are completely dressed we put them in the seats. It's not reasonable for them to crawl around bound in winter clothing. They can sit upright while we finish up the whole crew.

When the baby has had a ton of exercise and we are trying to nurse them along to nap time without an early bedtime... the bouncy seats keep them upright and supported for that last fifteen minutes. When we NEED them contained because we are doing a transition time that is high energy and requires a lot of adult one to one of each kid.. we get them settled to have something to do while we are doing what WE need to do.

Using them reasonably (max of 15-20 mins and max of 3 times a day in a 9-10 hour day with a few HOURS in between use) AND having strict no touch rules PLUS having excellent well maintained equipment that FITS with the depth of the seat plus the length from the lowest part of the crotch to the base be enough to have the child stand to bare weight), not using when the child can hike over the sides, not putting babies in them who can get face buried or need additional blankets to be able to sit up in them, and with excellent toys attached and put on... that are new to the child and rotated frequenty is the key to using them wisely.