View Single Post
nannyde 02:27 AM 01-30-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
Maybe some of you could help me out. We raise all our own meat, beef, chicken, lambs, and pigs. They eat grass hay and alfalfa that we grow. So I know where my meat comes from and what it eats, I can see it out my windows!

What I have a hard time with is fruit and vegetables. Where we live is very harsh and produce does not grow well here. Most people do raise modest gardens, but it is not much and we are not allowed to feed our dck's home canned goods. When local produce is not an option, what is the best way to get it for my kids? I would love any suggestions!

Food Inc was the most eye opening thing I have ever seen. My husband was cynical about it before we actually watched it because he is very defensive about raising livestock. It was nice to see something that validated letting animals have a natural diet and environment and exposing factory farming. Oh and the corn! Oh my goodness, the corn!
If you can't get local and fresh I would do frozen veggies. I've found the best time to buy them is in the late summer when the big food corps are selling out the inventory from the year before to make room for the new harvest. If you have a freezer and get get them for a dollar a pound or under you can put up corn, mixed, green beans, broccoli, peas etc. Organic is best for us but if you don't have access to that then just quick frozen is my next favorite.

If you aren't allowed to use your own "canned" fruits and veg then think about making puree's and freeze your own. I do this with a LOT of fruits and veggies. Buy in bulk, cook, puree, and freeze. It's lovely to get peach sauce in Febuary. I use the veggie puree to add to soups and sauces. My kids LOVE puree.

Food Inc changed my life in many ways. I switched to an organic day care immediately after watching it. I require my incoming clients to watch food inc before enrollment here.