View Single Post
daycare 06:55 PM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
How many of you encourage kids to attend a "real" preschool once they reach a certain age?

In our area you can either attend preschool 2-3 hours per day a few days a week OR attend a daycare center, in a preschool age classroom up to 12 hours a day.

I personally think all kids benefit from classroom experience, even if their daycare provider does curriculum. I don't think a traditional mixed age daycare home can provide the same environment as a preschool with 15 kids. This can be good or bad I guess depending on the child and their needs.

I am sending my own son to preschool (2 days for 2.5 hours) next year. I also have a difficult 4 yr old dcb whos mom is entertaining the idea of sending him to preschool next year but doesn't like that she will have to pay for daycare and preschool. Here in this area that is pretty much the norm. This child needs more structure, stimulation, and real traditional classroom experience than I can offer with only a few dcks here however because he gets so overstimulated a 10 hour day at a center would not be good either.

Do any of you advocate for a child to attend preschool? How do you stress the importance of getting this classroom experience?
I do teach preschool and most of mine stay with me until they leave for kinder. HOWEVER, there are and have been kids in the past that I know NEED to go to a preschool outside of my home so that they can get used to the class size. Currently I have a child that I feel I am holding back. She is extremely smart. I have taught her all that I can, including to read, write and basic math. I asked her parents to move her to a head start where they might be able to challenge her more. I feel that she has out grown my program.