View Single Post
nannyde 02:45 AM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Whether the city can be held liable in this case or not (and trust me, some lawyer already is on this one), they're going to run scared and tear that playground down. Even if this case doesn't do them in, the next may (now they know the slide gets hot, and left it there knowing full well how dangerous it is, yada yada yada).

Here's why....like you said, we should all know what we're dealing with....the city put in playground equipment that can burn someone? Someone got burned? And they still have the equipment there knowing full well that it's dangerous?

Oh, that's a lawsuit in todays litigious society.

As for the abuse/neglect thing, where I learned the English language, abuse is an action, neglect is the lack of action (both resulting in the same results).
Oh I don't know if they will tear the slide down. The vast majority of our parks have this identical equipment. I have a park next to my house and it has the equiment with the same slides with different configuration. It would mean taking down hundreds of play structures across the city. I don't see that happening. They may put up signs in the future. I believe there was a sign up in that playground stating ages for that pieces of equipment but I'm not positive. Next time I'm in that area I will check.

Heck I'm just guessing on all of this really. I am VERY familiar with the day care standards and how seriously something like this would be taken in my County.

The Regs that speak to this incident are:

Play equipment and materials in a safe condition, for both indoor and outdoor activities which are developmentally appropriate for the ages and number of children present.

Give careful supervision at all times.