View Single Post
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 07-23-2013
The handout I have from the Mayo Clinic says

"Usually, fever associated with common infections, is not a cause for concern. Although the fever may be fluctuating between 102 F and 104 F, taking prescription medicines is not mandatory.

The increase in body temperature during an infection is considered to be a protective mechanism of the human body. It is observed that the infectious agents are unable to proliferate when the body temperature is above normal. The excess heat generated helps to destroy the pathogen. In such a scenario, one should allow the fever to pass naturally.

However, this is true only when the normal body temperature hasn't shot up beyond 104 F. Also, if you are unable to tolerate symptoms that accompany fever, do not hesitate to consult a doctor."

I think it is important to consider behavior as well. My DD would get a fever of 99.9F and be lethargic and look very obviously ill. My DS got fevers of 105F anytime he was ill but continued to run around and eat, play and sleep as normal.

Every kid is different and it's important a parent know their child so they can make an educated decision on whether or not an ER visit is warranted.

Way too many parents medicate a fever immediately when in most cases, a fever is actually helpful to rid the body of whatever is ailing it.