View Single Post
nannyde 05:59 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs.Ky:
AGREE with this. I guess Im old now since the IN thing right now is to wait till 8 months next thing you know it will be a year I love how the goverment tells us what to do with our own kids.Doc had me putting cereal in my first Sons bottle when he was 2 months old because he had reflux it helped so much but now a days if I tell someone that their mouth will drop like I commited a crime. Mom ALWAYS knows best for her baby not some doctor, nurse, or someone from the AAP. Also all my kids where forwarding facing from10 to 12 months thought I would just add more fuel to the fire
I didn't say it was the IN thing. I said "I" don't offer food to infants until they hit the eigth month mark. I don't get involved in what the parents do at home. I don't even discuss it with them.

Mom ALWAYS knows best for her baby not some doctor, nurse, or someone from the AAP.

I think that's a bunch of bunk. I don't believe in the "I know my baby best and I know what's best for my baby". It's a "feel good" sentiment but there's little truth in it.

We need to STOP telling parents that. We need to make it clear that just because you can have sex, conceive a child, carry a child nine months, and give birth that you don't automatically just KNOW what is best for the baby. There are SOME things built into our nature but there are many things that must be wrought from experience and from dedicated learning.

There's very little training going on in this generation from the generation before. This generation of parents are coming into parenthood with very little life experience doing the HARD work of raising kids right. Many are coming into parenthood without experience of HARD work period.

The OP's parent in this thread is a shining example. She dropped off her kid and said clearly she didn't have enough milk for the baby. Then she left. That Mom doesn't obviously KNOW that you can't leave your baby somewhere without access to an appropriate amount of food. She understands the baby needs more but she doesn't GET that she should make sure he actually HAS it.

Obesity is a huge problem in our country. We need to be willing to look at EVERY age group from birth and evaluate if and how we are contributing to the obesity epidemic by the way we feed babies. We need to really look at all foods that are "quick" and "easy" as they are going to be misused first.

We have to use SOME measures of evaluating whether a child at age X months has a higher liklihood of being overweight at XX months. What we have is height and weight and statistics for males and females to compare that baby to. We need to look back to infancy and see if anything that is being done with the massess is leading the masses to be overweight. That INCLUDES looking at feeding, sleep (very very very mportant), nutrients, exercise, play, etc.