View Single Post
momofsix 10:39 AM 04-20-2010
Wow, do we go off on tangents or what?!?!
I also have a degree--Psychololgy w/ an Early Childhood emphasis and a minor in Sociology. I can do charge more b/c of my degree, and I do have one family that I DO take for free--yes I need to pay my bills, but I also have a heart and am willing to work with those who really need help too, because I love my job and I love the kids! I think what a parent pays for child care really has nothing at all to do with this discussion. It's more just a decision that each provider makes according to his/her level of comfort and state regs.
As for the first 5 years being most important, that is true. And a parent is responsible to make sure that thier children are not in front of the TV all day and are getting the care they deserve. The first five years are more about love, trust and bonding then "learning". Studies have shown that when kids do a "headstart" type program, they are ahead of their peers at first, but it soon evens out. And someone with a degree, that doesn't LOVE children could very well do more damage to a child than someone with NO education that loves them. I have a sister-in-law with special needs that is great with kids. She loves on them all the time, plays games like tag that would tire the rest of us out, reads them books and sings to them. She could never run her own day-care, but she is still a wonderful employee, and should NEVER be told she can't do what she loves because she can't get a degree. Children love her to bits!
Also, I homeschooled our 6 daughters for 9 years, and my degree didn't make a bit of difference in the education they recieved. If I didn't know something, I learned it along with them. They are growing into very successful adults and I am very proud of them.
I know this is kind of rambling--sorry