View Single Post
DCMomOf3 06:57 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
You know what I make on average an hour? $2.50/ child! ( I only have 1 child right now in my care too) What's minimum wage? $10 dollars? HMMMM......This isn't factoring the bills and such yet. I understand that yes, when you factor in additional children that will be more per hour that I will be paid, but it will still be 2.50/child!

$2.50. Is that what you think makes us thieves? Whether you want to admit it or not, everyone is calling providers crooks because they have to pay for sick/snow/vacation days. Now factor out the food, and the utilities, craft supplies, field trips, etc.

Maybe if you look at what you are actually pay per hour for someone to take care of, love, nurture and provide for your child, people will stop complaining so much!
I stay out of debates as a general rule but this point is a good one. This is something providers face every day. The parents see the chunk of money leaving their bank accounts, we see it as 1/4 of min. wage which we are expected to live off AND provide the best care possible for each life we are asked to nurture and protect. I think a snow day here or there is petty and an excuse to discount providers even more than we already are.