View Single Post
Unregistered 06:34 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Wow

Your experience is completely different than mine. I don't recognize most of what you are saying here. I've done care for a lot of years and counselled hundreds of providers.

This is my potty training letter to parents. https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/pott...to-parents.htm

As you can see in this... we are on opposite ends of the spectrum. What you consider to be standard I've only heard of as failure techniques.

To the OP

You may have a provider that is just using her own diapers and just taking it off the child right before you come.

The reason I say this is that your child going from not being able to tell the provider they have to go before they have to go is ... to me... a sure sign that he is going to pee on the floor/equipment/chairs etc. all day long when he is in a group and at a strangers house.

I think there is a GOOD chance you are being fooled. Times are tough now and many providers know that potty training is a HOT button with parents. They know that to many parents it's a sign of giftedness or being advanced AND the money incentive to having the kid in undies is HIGH. She may have figured it's just best to keep the kid in diapers at her expense and tell you what you want to hear because she needs the money.

If you provide the nap diaper she is most likely just having to provide two or three diapers a day. That's WAY cheaper than cleaning up pee from the carpet/equipment and doing a full clothing change.
I completely respect your opinion and read your letter. It makes sense if it works for the particular children you have and you have a definate advantage of being able to be very selective about you accept into your daycare. (you have an extensive interview process and I'm assuming that you cover this topic in full with the parents so they are on board) Unfortunately, most daycares don't have that luxury, expecially with this economy. The potty training issue is a hot button issue, because many preschool programs prevent 3 year olds from joining until they are fully potty trained. Doctors actually say boys usually aren't ready until age 3.5. Just curious, it's off topic, but what do you recommend in that case? Clearly, a child shouldn't be held back from a preschool program simply because of potty training, because the learning at that level is different than in the toddler programs, but the rules are the rules.