View Single Post
EchoMom 08:13 PM 01-09-2013
This is a really nice post you wrote, thanks for sharing! It really resonates with me. Although I've only been doing this for a year, SO much has changed and it is due in huge part to this forum, as well as trial and error and experiences this year. I now unashamedly charge in the high range for rates in my area and enforce policies without it being a dramatic issue.

When I started I was desperate and would take just about anyone for any hours. I was taking 7-6 and I had a 10 hour maximum but my very first people I signed I made an exception for and let them have 10.5 hours at no extra charge, and in fact turned into 11 hours but I never charged late fees. I had a first family that said can we have 12 hours one day and 8 the next because it all comes out the same anyway???

NOW I have clients that only come 3 hours a day, but pay for a FULL time spot. Clients that only come 3 days a week but pay for 4 just in case they might need a 4th day. I have families that always pick their kids up early when they can and keep them home when they're sick. It's wonderful.

I am so happy for you!