View Single Post
Unregistered 04:18 AM 01-02-2017
I hate this constant feeling that my daycare parents don't respect me.

Before the holidays, I sent a very detailed email about taking some time off and that I needed to know what children would be attending on the days I am open and who would not be. I had several requests from families that don't normally attend to possibly take their children, and I looked at it as an opportunity to make a little extra money.
Well, my first day open after Christmas was last Tuesday and 3 families suddenly decide to keep their kids home because they aren't working. Not only did I turn away kids, and lose that potential income, one of the families that was scheduled to attend didn't bother to pay me for that day.
I was off Thurs and Fri and reopen today. It is Monday and I also specifically asked people if their kids would be attending today. All 8 kids were supposed to attend. It is also payday Monday, and I am supposed to be paid for the week at drop off time.
Last night I start receiving text messages; 'we won't be there tomorrow as I don't have to work' over and over. 'My child won't be attending....over and over'. So I end up with 1, possibly 2 out of 8 kids attending. Yes, it will be an easier day, but I also now have 5 families not paying me today and I am mad! There is no way they just found out on Sunday evening that their work was closed! There is no way that they could not have communicated this with me at an earlier date and left me a check for today's payment. Now I am in a pickle with bills hitting today. I did end up telling 2 families that live close by that they need to run a check over this morning.
And, only one family said 'thank you' for the parent gifts and the gift I gave to their child. It is always a ton of work to make the parent gifts, but the kids really love doing it, so we continue to do it.
I do not know what is going on here, but I end up feeling so disrespected on a daily basis. I don't know how much clearer I can get with my communication and I don't want to start sounding 'bitchy' in every email/text.
How do you all handle this feeling when you have it?