View Single Post
lbrun 08:45 PM 02-25-2011
Hi everyone...

I am new to this forum. I am a registered Family Child Care Provider in NJ. I am a member of the New Jersey Family Child Care Providers' Association. I am also on the executive board. Carliegirl, your homeowners issue is one that I am going through myself. When I opened my FCC business, I thought that the seperate liability insurance was sufficient, until we were given notice that our homeowners was threatening to cancel the policy. I too have a seperate set up from the home where I run my business. I obtained new homeowners that is very costly. Looking for a new homeowners is proving to be a battle.

I spoke to State Farm as well and was told that they do not write home owners policies for Family Child Care businesses. Several years ago they had, but they do not currently...it doesn't matter if you are registered or how many children are in care. I don't understand why the rep. would say they can cover for 3 out of the 5 children. To my understanding, they do not offer a rider either, as someone else has posted. A fellow FCCP does have State Farm from insuring her home with the business, but she obtained her policy approx. 8 years ago. I have been in touch with one of several brokers claiming Lloyds of London will insure the home with the FCC business. Looking into this option. Of course it will come at a price. Good luck in your search and business endevours.

Please look into joining the NJFCCPA! We are here for Family Child Care Providers like you. April 9, 2011 there is a FCC Conference which may be of interest to you and others in this forum. You are all welcome to check out the website for more info. www.njfccpa.org. Membership applications, conference information, national conference (Las Vegas, this year), and much more is available on this site. Thank you! Curious how things have worked out for you.