View Single Post
QualiTcare 08:46 PM 07-28-2010
i haven't read all of the posts, but for the record - i don't give a DAMN what anyone thinks about me. my children both went to daycare when they were six weeks old and i don't make excuses nor apologize for it. i did NOT want to stay at home 24/7 and if you think being a working mom by choice = bad mom then you are stupid.

other than being in daycare while i was working, my kids have spent FOUR days away from me and my husband their entire life. once again, if you think that's selfish then you are stupid.

i'm on vacation RIGHT NOW at the beach. my husband and kids are asleep cus we spent 12 hours straight at the beach and the pool - even had meals delivered to us there.

would my kids make a sighing sound if they knew he and i were taking a weekend trip alone somewhere? PROBABLY! that doesn't mean they are poor little neglected kids. it means they are KIDS and that's what kids do.

as i said before, what's different about parents that have "date nights" once a week or once a month and parents who DON'T have date nights but then take a vacation?

i went on a vacation with my daughter when she was 4 for a week and left my husband and son behind. was i being a bad mom/wife to my son and husband - or a good mom to my daughter?

you're damned if you do and damned if you don't so it doesn't matter. if you're happy having your kids attached to your hip 24/7/365 then good for you. i'm sure you don't like when people say your kids are "sheltered" and unable to adjust in the real world. btw, i've said it before - kids who have never been away from their parents or gone to preschool are the WORST when they start school. you're not doing them any favors.

my goal for my children is for them to be INDEPENDENT adults and i really don't think spending a week away from them every 5 years or so is a bad thing IF that's your goal. when i took my 4 day trip, my kids were happy to talk to me on the phone and were asking if i was having fun! they didn't care because we have a SECURE relationship and they knew i was coming back. it's really NOT that big of a deal.

now, if someone goes to the beach every year and their kids have never ever been - then i would think that was sad. my kids can't even pick out a toy at the store cus they have them all and they EXPECT to go on vacation - so i don't see how it's "selfish" to take a few days away from them. some of you claim you're only talking about ppl who leave their kids in daycare while they go, but it's obvious as the conversation progressed that you believe kids should be stuck up your ass 365 days a year for 18 years. good luck with having independent, self sufficient adults!