View Single Post
Hunni Bee 02:30 PM 01-06-2013
I was in the same kind of disorganized, fly-by-night situation as that for five years. I started at 19, untrained and sent on a field trip with children I had never seen before. Children and teachers were routinely bounced from room to room, children of differing ratios were mixed without adjusting the staff, we were expected and forced to operate out of ratio daily.

An assistant did lose track of a child briefly on a field trip once. I am amazed that's the only mishap we ever had. We had plenty of near mishaps and situations that could've turned really bad, but through the grace of God didn't. My fellow members can attest to this .

But I have to disagree with some of the other posters. I think when you (and Im talking about myself here too) agree to and continue to do something that you know is not right and makes you uncomfortable, you are at fault as well. They were extremely negligent and careless in how they operated, but you yourself said many times in your post that you felt uncomfortable and unsafe in those situations. Its your (our) job to step up and say no. And if you dont know something, ask. We take care of people's children, we cant afford to wing it.

I'm not being self righteous at all. I am just as at fault for all the wrong and unsafe situations I participated in, as I feel you were. Just take this as a learning experience, I did.