View Single Post
Thriftylady 01:44 PM 02-19-2016
When we were doing Foster care, we were put in a situation where we had an issue with a kiddo and the social worker would not help us. We were found at fault for what happened, but the foster care agency lost their foster care license.

It is something that still plagues DH and I.

So I will say that I understand your issue. I also understand that fault can lay 50/50. All you can do is learn from it. From our situation, we learned that no matter how much someone begs, pleads, pushes etc. NEVER do anything if it goes against your gut feeling about what you can handle. In our case, a social worker made her emergency to place a child our emergency. We had the teenager once before, and he was not a good match for our home, or any home for that matter, his issues required a higher level of group home care. But that costs more so after being there for awhile they begged us to take him back.

Our initial answer was no but they kept pushing. Not many foster homes even accept teens. This particular "child" didn't get our undivided attention that night (and how can you when you have six kids in the house? So he started taking tylenol by the hand fulls. No it wasn't out of reach, because this "kid" was over 6' tall! At the end of the day we were cited for "allowing" a 17 year old to take the meds. Are there things we could have done? Sure there are, the very first one being sticking to my initial answer of NO. The agency put the child in harm's way to save a few bucks, and we allowed them to do it. We had full say of what child came into our home.

I learned a lot. The main thing was like I said though if it feels like a bad idea, it most likely is. Somehow we allow ourselves to push that aside, and it sounds like the day in question you were feeling like the way things were going was a bad idea. At the end of the day, all we can do is learn from our mistakes and try to move on. Keep your head up!