View Single Post
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 05-17-2019
Originally Posted by maelb05:
Quite honestly my question is, when a child has pooped so much that it requires needing a bath and is so messy that it is on the bathroom floor/mats, do you feel like it is your job to get the child cleaned up before pick up or leave it for the parents to deal with when they come? Again, I don't give baths here so I called for pickup. I know it may not seem reasonable to put this on the parent, but on the other hand, how are we as a provider of multiple children supposed to be able to supervise all the children in care when having to spend a significant amount of time (it took me 45 minutes) cleaning up the child and the bathroom. I have never had a situation quite like this happen in all my years of child care. I have definitely dealt with poop/puke cleanups, but nothing to this degree that has taken so much of my time away from fully supervising all the children.
For those of you who bathe a child after an incident like this or have a child smear there poop in the bathroom, how do you continue to supervise the other children in care while cleaning the child and/or the bathroom?
Just trying to figure out the best plan of action if/when this occurs again. This particular child will be in a pull up from now on until she is willing to poop in the toilet.
I would consider this a "non-contained" BM and thus would call for pick up.

I do not and would not bathe a child regardless of the circumstances. However, that said I would clean them up the best I could with wet wipes as no child should remain in soiled underwear/clothing or a soiled diaper but other than wiping them down enough to go home, that is the extent of my responsibility.

As for supervision of the other children.....I guess I'd just make sure they were all occupied with whatever they were doing prior. The only kids I'd worry about would be the under 2 crowd and for them I'd use a gate or a PNP to limit their ability to get into anything while you are busy. The older kids should all be able to understand that you are needing to address this situation and be able to occupy themselves safely for a short period of time.