View Single Post
daycare57 11:52 AM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
What kind of rocker advertises as safe for a 1 year old child to sleep in? You must be talking about a rocker that's not a rocking chair and more of a bouncy seat? I've never heard of one made for a child so old. It's also rare for a company to say sonething is safe for sleep (except cribs) these days since its sets them up for liability if a child dies
It is a Fisher Price, Infant to Toddler rocker: From their website: "It’s a reclining infant seat with a fold-out kickstand—great for feeding baby. Adjust the seat upright so baby's movements create rocking motion—with stimulating toys and music to enjoy. For naptime, you can remove the toy bar and switch on calming vibrations. And as your child grows, it becomes a toddler rocking chair!" from the FP website.
It says in the description that as the baby grows it becomes a toddler rocking chair. To me it's clear that means that the redlining seat can be used to soothe your baby to sleep as an infant but once it's switched to a toddler rocking chair it's not used for sleep it's used as a chair.
I do know how accidents happen: when things are used incorrectly, such as not strapping a child properly in the apparatus, especially a 5 point system which can cause strangulation. I'm not sure how a child strapped in around her abdomen and legs correctly would be able to squirm out. I've never had that happen in my day care, and I've been registered since 1984 and am a mother of a 41 year old son. Carelessness is normally the reason for an accident.
In my opinion this chair was used incorrectly. The squirming could cause it to tip and cause bruises like in your case or could cause entrapment and suffocation if it tips. You've never had it happen...yet..we all have things that haven't happened yet but it doesn't mean they can't happen. I've read numerous posts over the years about children able to squirm out of car seats, booster seats, high chairs etc. You know how it is, you've been doing this a long time, there's always that ONE child.
You weren't able to intervene since you were on a different floor. You were only able to react to the problem not stop it from happening.
I did hear her cry, just gave her a few minutes to resettle and thought she had when she stopped crying after a few minutes. My point is I could have been on the 1st floor closer to her and she still would have tipped, it was an unforseeable accident.
I consider this to be a foreseeable accident, actually I would have seen the danger as much greater than a few bruises. I understand that didn't. I don't understand why you weren't able to see the possible danger but hope after reading all of these posts that you do.
sleep positioning devices

My responses are in red. I agree with other posters who said if you feel you should fight it then do. Personally the only thing I'd fight is the usage of the word "refused", if that. If you fight this and win Texas Could decide to adjust their regulations so everything is spelled out word for word and offers no interpretation which I'm starting to see as an awesome thing. If you fight it and lose they might do the same. They may even go the direction other states have went in and not allow any use of bouncy seats, swings or other baby equipment and cite people if they are even found on the premises. I've always thought these regs were restrictive and unnecessary but am now able to see why they exist. When I read regulations that list appropriate sleeping equipment I don't then need the regulations to say what is considered inapproprite because I would consider anything not listed as appropriate to be inappropriate. I understand this isn't how everyone thinks though and sadly maybe more regulation is the direction we need to head.
YES i AM SURE TEXAS WILL CHANGE THE LAW BECAUSE I CAUSED A CHILD TO SUFFER 2 BRUISES!! WHERE DO YOU ALL COME FROM THAT YOU ARE HOLIER THAN THOU???? I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH CRITICS BUT YOU ALL JUST BLASTED ME ABOUT THE CHAIR WHICH WAS NOT AN ISSUE. MY MISTAKE AFTER YOUR MEMBER LET A CHILD DIE. IT WASN'T ME!!!