View Single Post
PitterPatter 09:38 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

When they call for care and ask what hours you are open answer them with a question. "What hours do you need?"

They will answer with <insert 12 hour day> and then you ask where they work and what times they work. Both parents. So then you say "okay so dad goes in at eight and it's a fifteen minute drive so drop off would be a little after 7:30 and you get off at 4 and it's a 20 minute drive so pick up would be 4:30. Right?"

Whoever goes into work last drops off.
Whoever gets off of work first picks up.

Exception is when one parent works really close to you and the other doesn't and they don't live nearby. Then you can go with one parents schedule. If you don't allow that then they will incur too much in gas money and prolly won't pick you... so be flexible on that. Also some parents DO have to park and walk. I have one client that when she first started with me she was way back in the back forty of her parking lot and had a hike into the building every day. She was one of many clients I had from that company so I knew she was telling the truth. As she advanced thru the company her spot got closer and closer and now she parks right close to where she goes in the building. So you do have to listen to what they have in addition to the drive.

I have found that parents that really want my services but have later hours or an hour lunch WILL work with their employer to switch their hours to earlier hours and flip to a half hour lunch to stay within my nine hours and get off as early as possible. Sweet for everyone involved. Saves them money, gives them more waking hours with the kid, and gets the kids out da doe earlier.
I tried this exact thing a couple weeks ago with a potential private paying client. I was hoping to take the 1st step in avoiding being walked on. The Mother said what hours they worked was none of my business and since I want to be so demanding of their time she will take her business elsewhere. Then she hung up on me. So much for being stern from the get go