View Single Post
daycarediva 08:55 AM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:

Several providers on this board have a policy that they do not accept a doctor's note for "return to care" because often doctors think minor illnesses are "no big deal." However a child who is even mildly ill can often be quite needy, making it impossible for the provider to care for other children.

One time I had a toddler who kept having major, blow out diarrhea. The doctor claimed it was a reaction to something he ate and not contagious, therefore he could be at day care. Um, no. I called for pick up after having to clean/sanitize him, toys, carpet, furniture, OTHER CHILDREN, etc.

In my case I wasn't refuting the doctor's diagnosis, just being clear that I wasn't going to be managing it.
I agree with this. I don't refute a dr's diagnosis, but I do NOT allow a doctor to dictate when/if a child can be in care. I exclude for symptoms, and not diagnosis.

I would need more details to know her train of thought and give further advice, but I suspect that's what is happening. Child is unable to participate, exceptionally fussy, (even mildly ill children who are not contagious can have great difficulty in group care while feeling poorly.

I had a dr say a child with pink eye could return to care before the prescription was filled. The school district has also lightened up on policies regarding strep, flu, fevers (they allow up to 102 before calling) lice-they allow nits AND active lice, can you imagine having that in daycare!? EEK!

So yes, my policies for small children are much more stringent and symptom, not diagnosis based.