View Single Post
Unregistered 10:20 AM 05-09-2013
I searched this answer for the reason my daughter became sick and I was asked to pay for the week she was out.
Reading both sides it becomes apparent that there are issues on both ends. I see the daycare's logic now on only having so many available spots (this point was new to me) and not being able to recooperate these losses when a child becomes sick. As far as expenses go the day cost is $40 and they do not provide meals or care supplies. Parents must provide this daily.

I talked with my provider ahead of signing the contract to better understand her policies. I agreed to a weekly pay basis so that I could give notice if my child would be out and daycare requires a two week notice which I agree is fair. They also allow a "drop in rate" for days not planned at an extra $2 each day not planned ahead. This allows for me to have care in the event I said she would be out and plans change. If i cannot plan over even a week ahead for my child being sick how could I agree to paying a month ahead? This way we are both able to plan atleast for vacation purposes etc although there is no planning for a child being sick ever.

At this time I do not get PTO so if my child is contagious she can not be taken anywhere for care so the monies I would have available to pay the daycare are lost on my since I would be out of work. If providers KNOW kids WILL get sick I feel it is only fair to allow some room for this. It IS greedy to know that kids will get sick and expect full payment mainly in the case of providers that charge a monthly rate. If a parent pays a month rate ahead is it not obvious they were planning to bring the child for care otherwise? It is only fair to allow some room for this by requiring proper communication as with some form of advance notice (24-48 hours or more possibly) and /OR a reduction in fees for that week that a notice WAS given. I think this keeps the parents to a degree of responsibility (communication on the parents part and not expecting the daycare to lose money completely). On the daycare end they are able to plan how many kids may be there a day OR even that week and possibly make staff arrangements for the possibility that some other kids may be out as well. I called my provider to let them know my plans and that my child would be out all week (she had the pox). They plan weekly staff in this case and I think it would be fair to reduce that weeks fees (not waive entirely) since the services in fact were not offered but I do expect my child to return (spot reserve) so give and take in this case comes from both ends. They would still have to pay rent to stay open etc but they are also receiving kids at their location so the utilities are not being left on only for my child.

The logic that the daycare will have fees and not use them on their end (as in the case of the phone and cable bill) also applies to the daycare as well do they not??