Thread: Why So Mean?
View Single Post
MissAnn 08:25 AM 08-14-2014
OK....this is a vent and a concern. I even put a movie on for the kids so I could write this out.

I have a girl who is 5 and is just plain mean. I have had her about 6 months and I have not been successful in ridding of the mean. She has a mean expression on her face most of the day. If I take a picture of another kid I have to make sure she is not in the background because she will be mad I'm not taking a picture of her. There it is....the mean face ruining a picture of another kid.

Here's a scenario that happened this morning. First of all, my kids work activities either at a table or a rug. They need to ask if they can play before joining in. The other kid can say yes, no thank you, maybe later....etc. She LOVES to do this......

Girl is playing at a rug. A new boy asks if he can play with her

Girl: NO THANK YOU!!!!!! (mean voice)

She then looks at another boy and in an angelic voice......

Girl: Do you want to play with me?????

Now she has the right to say no to one kid and yes to another. This is fine with me......it's the WAY she does it. It's like she revels in it. Takes pure pleasure in being mean.....at least that what it seems like.

Today, outside....she took a toy away from another kid and gave it to another kid. She also had the same toy. I told her she needed to give hers to the boy she took a toy from. Reluctantly she did.....stomping to the corner of the playground and singing loudly....in opera.....about how she wants her toy back. Everyone ignored her. So, she came closer to us and acted like she was on the phone, complaining to her mom how everyone was mean to her. Everyone ignored her. Then an airplane went overhead and she yelled for the airplane to come down and rescue her. Again...everyone ignored. It's like they don't hear her any more.....she does this stuff all the time.

This morning she came in and the new boy ran up to her and told her hi. She screamed at him. I told the girl in front of her mom that there was no need for screaming and if he was in her face she could use her big voice and words to speak to him. The mom took sides with the girl and acted like the boy was all up into her face.......he wasn't.

I remember there was a thread about over praising......(I started one of them)....this girl is a praise and attention hound. If I say one kids picture is awesome....she will get mad if I don't say hers is awesome. If I pat a kids back she will insist I pat her back. This goes on constantly. Usually I will say.....what do you think of your picture? Other times when she's not demanding it, I will praise her for things that are well deserved....not for every little thing.

OK....there is so much more I could say. Sorry if there are typos....but I don't have time to proof read...gotta make lunch. Advice is welcome! Oh.....and some of those awesome hug icons would be great too!!!!!! LOL Thanks for letting me vent. I want the best for this girl and I want to help her become a more tolerable person to be around.