View Single Post
LostMyMarbles 08:40 AM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Wow- as a parent of a 3 year old researching online whether or not I should request that our daycare shorten a nap, this is an extremely discouraging and judgmental post to come across from a daycare employee. Your assumptions about their parenting and the child's behavior at home seem unfounded. Do you live at home with them? I would agree that 2 years old is perhaps a little young to start shortening naps- but there is plenty of evidence out there that 3-4 year olds begin cutting out naps- that should be done gradually. The daycare my child goes to is willing to work with us, as they should. We pay them a lot of money. I understand it probably makes more work for the employees and shortens their downtime. Maybe you should consider a job that is less stressful?
You are free to ask your provider anything, you provider is free to accept or deny your request. If you are denied a request you feel strongly about, you should seek other care. If your provider feels strongly about denying your request, she is free to terminate care.

We, as providers, set our own rule in our facilities. For those of us who give out a hand book and have a contract, some have a specific nap time rule. Some have a nap or get out rule. Some are ok with non nappers at 2, 3, or 4 years old.

We own the joint and get to say yes or no to a request based on the program we choose to run. We choose this career, we choose to be the boss, we choose the rules.