View Single Post
Sunshine69 12:31 PM 03-31-2021
Thank you all for the kind wishes.

The day after I gave my notice, the daycare kids were being very sweet and I started to feel sad, but that was short-lived. I will get to see the school-aged kids in my new job, so that will be nice.

For the most part, my dcms have been good at expressing appreciation over the years, it's a different story with most dcds I've had.

Dcps had a hard time finding care. One family decided to adjust their work schedule as they couldn't find affordable care, another family has to travel another 30 minutes out of the way for care. All have told me the rates they are being quoted are $100/wk. more per child than I charge and some providers are closed Fridays.

The family whose dcd gave me a hard time is going to pay $400 more per week than they were paying me. Dcm asked me if I thought $250/wk. per child was price gouging. I explained that anyone working 50 hours a week (which is how long I have her children) at minimum wage would make $687.50, not including benefits. She seemed surprised that they'd want to make minimum wage and get paid for overtime. Then I informed her of the costs that I've incurred (food, soap, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, furniture, activities, fixing things the kids broke, toys, etc.) Let her do the math.

I had a therapist in last week complaining how her friend was looking for childcare and could only find one opening but the provider took all school breaks, too, so she didn't know how it works for working parents. Hmm. Same way it does when the child is old enough to attend school?

If a typical provider cares for children 50 hrs./wk. for 52, that equals 2,600 hrs. A parent working 40 hours a week for 50 weeks (2 weeks of vacation), works 2,000 hrs. Six hundred hours or 15 wks. at 40 hrs./wk. is a lot. Parents seem oblivious to this difference. What a dream it would be to only have to do daycare related things during the hours the children are present, too.

I recently got a new regulation emailed to me regarding prevention of food-related anaphylaxis requiring changes to all providers' health care plans and additional training. I can't help but wonder why this training is only required of childcare providers and not parents of anaphylactic children and anyone who makes or serves food to the public. Why are childcare providers held to such a high standard while looked upon by society as uneducated, lazy, stay-at-home gold diggers? I'm glad I know better. I just wish every parent looking for childcare did.