View Single Post
Lucy 09:51 PM 01-26-2010
Obviously there are different schools of thought on this. I respect your opinion and it is entirely valid for you. I just think it's such a hassle to have to install all the carseats when you get ready to leave. Some of them are a pain in the butt and take a few minutes EACH. What are the kids doing while you're outside tangling with seatbelts in your vehicle? And, if the parents provide the carseat each day, this means they have to take it out of their car every morning and put it back in at night. Even if they provide you one when you first start caring for their child, that means they had to purchase an extra carseat, which they take back when their child leaves your care. Why have numerous parents buy numerous carseats when you can have your own on hand and use them for each kid as they come along?

Another thought is.. undoubtedly you'd have a parent who would say they couldn't afford an extra - they have one for their car, one for dad's car, and maybe even one for grandma's car - they just can't manage buying another. You say you would turn them down. Well, I don't know about you, but unless the family is undesirable in some other fashion, I can't afford to turn people away for something like lack of a carseat.

Also, assuming the parent brings the carseat on a daily basis, you'd never be ready to leave your house quickly in case of emergency. I had a situation where the house behind me was leaking gas and the fire dept. banged on my door and said to leave NOW. If I didn't have carseats already installed, it would've taken me 10 minutes to get ready. Instead it took me about 2 at the most to buckle everyone in.

Again, it's just a matter of viewpoint.