View Single Post
godiva83 08:35 PM 04-26-2012
First off congrats

I think having some form of working with children prior is great! You already have some good hands on know how; HOWEVER, lol home based child care is very different than large centres in many ways, in that it's a mixed age group, no other adult interaction or intervention, what you say goes and so on. It is also very similar... Same issues with behaviour, DCP not respecting policies, get to do what you love, have a positive impact on a child's early learning expierence ect.

I would suggest pre- planning set aside an hour or 2 each week to plan a program, get creative ready, sensory, file folder games all ready for your week.
I also would do a menu you can stick to and a lot of pre- cooking or prep the night prior.
If you can get all your children on the same napping schedule - may take a week or two but so worth it!! You will need that down time every day to clean, organize, and put your feet up... With out it I have seen DCP's burn out pretty quickly.

Also, have the right materials available to you and your children. Proper sleeping equipment, a swing for infants, high chairs or boosters, a way to get around (wagon, stroller, walking rope)

It will take some time to get into the swing of things but you will get there!
Have a daily routine outlined that works for you and your group but remember to be flexible.

Most importantly, start out confident. You know you have something great to offer these kiddos and their parents, stand up for yourself and follow your guidelines set forth in your handbook! Stay on top of enforcing rules like no late pick ups, illness policies, payment - get your big girl panties on and make sure that back bone is there! No 'special' at the start or it will snow ba

Good luck, don't stress Mumma! You got this