View Single Post
Aya477 07:45 AM 07-30-2010
Thanks Pro-Mom. I'm definitely a little different in my thinking and I hope you enjoy.

I guess what I was trying to get at is the practice of someone other than Mom (or Dad) raising the children throughout the day is not new. I know I didn't state this, but because history shows that a huge number of children were raised by caregivers for hundreds of years, I don't believe that having a child in care causes any type of negative behavior or outcome. Now, having a child in care with a volatile individual probably would have a negative impact. But the general idea that a child in care for more than 30/40+ hours per week is causing the youth to be involved in crime and the like...I don't buy into that. No article or small sample study would convince me otherwise.

The problem is society and the expectations that society places on individuals to live a certain way, have certain luxuries, focus attention to their own interests. This is what the majority society has encouraged people to partake in. Even children have been considered "must haves" because that's what their friends have or want. Clearly, this is not what you and I believe, fortunately.

I also think about this--why has society placed so much pressure on parents and schools to push children to be the top of the class, the best player on the team, participate in the most elite circle activities, be involved in a variety of activities, learn beyond their age and development, and become independent sooner than they should. Personally, I think this is why some children are becoming aggressive, dropping out of school, taking up drug use, engage in crime in their teens. It has nothing to do with being in childcare because childcare is supposed to provide a nurturing environment. Then you have employers pushing the employees (parents) to do more at work, assign hard to meet deadlines, attend this, attend that. Parents are under pressure so they want to escape their responsibilities for a moment and indulge in something for themselves which does put their kids on the backburner. Kids are under pressure and they react as kids do which is with outbursts. This all makes for what we see day to day in life. Oh and add all that to the fact that you can be a total failure and still have someone (the government) keep you up? Yep, sure makes it easy for some people and as Nanny said...easy equates to good in some people's minds. And as a society, we do need to get a grip. It doesn't mean that a parent has to stay home with their child to develop a quality adult. It means that as a society, we need to cut back on our demands, expectations & perceptions so that the push to be more and have more is diminished.