View Single Post
kitykids3 05:06 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by SnowDayMom:
Show me the employer who would 1) offer the employees unlimited paid sick days, and 2) agree with you that such an arrangement would be totally fair (he'll just pay you AND a temp to get the work done!). You show me that, and then you can call me hypocritical.

And I employ a daycare CENTER because I have no intention of having a care provider who can't watch my child due to illness, let alone ask me to pay.
I know I'm late to this thread but just came across it. I hate closing unless absolutely necessary, but i would never consider myself 'employed' by my clients. I run a business. Clients can choose to use my services or not (as I offer them), plain and simple. I do things for the best interest of my kiddos and have had parents that have been extremely happy over the years and run a 5 star daycare home, but I will not ever consider that I am employed by them. If I was, I would have the benefits for my hard work and education, which would include retirement plan, etc. I don't close for snow days since they have to travel to me and I know some parents don't get a choice in working, but if it might possibly put the kids in extra danger (such as not being able to get an ambulance here if something happens, or my old boiler can not keep it warm enough in here), then yes, I will occasionally close. Running a business, I make those decisions though and if my clients don't think it's fair because I am doing what I think is best overall, then they can find someone they think is 'fair.' Honestly I think what's 'fair' is relative.