View Single Post
Josiegirl 02:57 PM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I wouldn't do a theme for more than a week in my opinion. Cooking theme for the entire summer will definitely be boring. kids need to switch it up every week in my experience.

Also working together goes better when everyone has a specific job to do. We made banana bread the other day and every person had an ingredient they got to pour in the bowl and then everyone took turns stirring.
Well cooking wouldn't exactly be a theme, but more like a once a week activity that the older kids could do together. Three oldest are 8, 9 and 10. The younger ones like to cook like you are describing but these kids already do lots of cooking at home, especially the 9 yo. He's learning a lot about fractions that way. He got a toaster oven for his birthday. I swear he'll open his own restaurant one day. I just have to help them work any problems out so they're not having food fights; they all like being boss.
I talked with them a little bit today about putting together a cookbook, using family recipes they like, plus recipes we'll make together. They were all excited about that idea, so that was good.