View Single Post
My3cents 12:07 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I wanted to post my opinion on discipline as well. Since I have raised one family and am starting on the second, have over 35 years experience leading church youth groups, scouting groups and 4-H groups, I feel I do have some experience!

I believe the solution is not in which discipline you use, but in how it is applied. The most importantly is IMMEDIATE and CONSISTENT, IMO.

When my kids were growing up I trained them to not respond to my requests until I yelled. I would ask nicely, lecture, count to 3, ask them to stop and think, ask again, then my voice would start to escalate. By the time it reached a certain volume, the kids knew they had to obey now or get a swat. I guess it was a form of training, but certainly not very effective, and my kids have suffered the consequences of it.

I shared that story with my dcm's yesterday. It is very true. Consequences must be IMMEDIATE. And if we don't do that and do it every time, we are training our children to not listen the first time, or second time or until some point at which we administer the consequences.

Spanking or not spanking is not the point. Time outs or not is not the point. How they are used IS the point, IMO

I'm sorry if this seems inflammatory to some, but I again state that it is only IMO. I have very strong opinions, but they are just my opinions.
How so? curious- not swaying one way or the other here...I have my opinions but until I am the expert then I still learn everyday. I don't see myself being the expert anytime any day soon