View Single Post
judytrickett 06:21 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Run from it? You are assuming that it's the big bad wolf of day care experiences. There's nothing to run from!!!! Do you seriously think this is a big deal? Do you really think someone needs an education or experience to deal with this. THIS IS SIMPLE. You either have a kid UP who you are providing direct care and supervision to while they are up or you don't. Why is it hard to understand that this is NOT hard to understand.

If you can't find a day care that will work with your family's needs then quit work and YOU keep your kid up 14-16 straight hours a day and see how that works for you.

You said: The provider interviews the child and parent to see if they are easy and complacent to work with, if not, they go to the next in line. If you use cloth diapers, if your child hits, or doesn't want to nap, next in line please.

YES the provider gets to decide. It's her house. Her business. Her livlihood. You don't expect McDonalds to offer sushi do you? They get to decide what they offer. If they don't want cloth diapers then no cloth diapers. If they don't want to care for kids that have aggression then no kids with aggression. If they don't need a FULL afternoon nap then only take and keep the kids who need a FULL afternoon nap.

Bottom line is that you want a service that she doesn't offer. It feels like you want some sort of comprimise that leads to a YES for you and your 3 year old. Let me give you a little insider day care info: There's no gray when it comes to having a kid up at nap. Most providers I know look at it like this: If one is up they might as well all be up. The break in the middle of a long day that most providers want and need can not be done if ANY kid is up during nap. It's the COMPLETE quiet of her home that recharges her. It's a FULL two hour break that she looks forward to. ANYTHING that comprimises that will end up meaning she simply doesn't get a break. Even if that something is an easy three year old who will "let" her work as long as she is being talked to while the provider is working.

If there are so many more kids than providers than my suggestion is offer her a high hourly rate for having only YOUR kid up at nap. An extra ten dollars an hour during nap time might well solve this. If the provider can make another 100 bucks a week for the two hours she is doing one to one then you guys may strike a deal. That's how I manage requests to have the kid up at nap. We will do it but my staff assistant must be paid during that time to one to one the child. She's ten bucks an hour on TOP of the regular salary. So yes... we can keep your three year old up but YES we have to charge extra for it. Expecting her to do it without substantially raising her rate of pay is going to cause problems. She might be willing to do it as long as you pay the "nanny" rate for the one to one she will HAVE to receive during this time.

Nan
As usual, Nan......I LOVE what you just said. Right ON the mark.