View Single Post
Blackcat31 09:59 AM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by RDAW:
Hello! I have an idea for a "daycare" facility, but it would be only for older children, third grade (8-9) and up.

It's not easy to find an employer around here (Northwest Florida) with shifts during the normal daycare hours, Monday-Friday, 6AM to 6PM, and though technically it would not be illegal for me to leave my nine year-old at home alone in the state of Florida, I am not comfortable with this idea. I can't imagine that I am the only one.

The facility I would like to start would operate extended hours, have a drop-in option as well as regular/daily supervision, but, again would only be for older children from 8 to twelve years old.

What I am having trouble with is finding the licensing and regulations on such a place. I believe it would be classified as an "indoor recreation facility" which would need to be licensed as a daycare, but I am unable to find anything specific.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
I don't think it would necessarily qualify as an "indoor recreation facility" unless you are focusing on learning how to play or participate in a specific physical activity.

Indoor recreational facilities are also required to be licensed as child care according to what I see/read.

https://www.daycare.com/florida/

"Indoor recreational facility" means an indoor commercial facility which is established for the primary purpose of entertaining children in a planned fitness environment through equipment, games, and activities in conjunction with food service and which provides child care for a particular child no more than 4 hours on any one day. An indoor recreational facility must be licensed as a child care facility under s. 402.305, but is exempt from the minimum outdoor-square-footage-per-child requirement specified in that section, if the indoor recreational facility has, at a minimum, 3,000 square feet of usable indoor floor space."