View Single Post
MizzCheryl 04:41 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
I believe there is a lot of turnover in daycares because the pay is very low, even for those with degrees. My understanding is that most teachers and teacher assistants make between minumum wage and maybe $10-$12 an hour (not sure what directors make). This is not even a living wage so, I think many move on to better paying jobs in education or other things as soon as they get the opportunity. This would be especially true of young adults who are getting thier bachelor and/or masters degrees. Why stay in a job that can actually be very stressful with all the liscensing rules and dealing with all that goes with taking care of children, including dealing with parents who can bring even more stress at times, and pays not much above minimum wage? Parents can/will only pay so much for care so there is really not much to do to keep teachers. This is unfortunate for the children but I don't see any way to keep good employees without the ability to offer more incentive to stay.
This is so true. I have friends that work in centers and this is what they say. Also they have experience some pretty petty behavior from some coworkers. Sad to say but some environments can be hard to work in. A center needs a strong director to weed out bad behaviors and reward good employees with wages deserving to them. Daycare can be a hard profession.