View Single Post
Cat Herder 04:32 AM 04-15-2021
My state says I can't have ferrets, rats, bully or shepherd breed dogs or snakes. They also have a 500 feet rule from "livestock" but don't specify what that means.

I love rats. Yep, I said it. I babysat one once for a family and that little dude stole my heart. I did not want to send him back, but they were also smitten.

I love snakes. Same deal, college friend's snake got sick, I nursed her while she was in boot camp and we bonded. She was 6 foot (suriname) and terrifying at first, but just a big lap snake in the end. Personally, I'd love to have a small green snake, but they are too shy and don't live well with children. They are really sweet for teens, though.

I love, love, love bearded dragons and iguana's. Beardies are snuggle bugs and will follow you everywhere you go if you let them. Their derpy perma-grins will make your day. Iguanas can get a little moody and slappy if they don't get their way, it can really hurt and leave marks, so probably not best for kids. I have always wanted a savannah monitor but they are not for kids and I am too old, now. Unless, I find a senior looking for a home.... hmmm...

I currently have dogs, a cat, and thirteen geckos of two species.

I won't do birds, tropical reptiles, sliders or fish again due to amount of labor, resource's, expensive illness's and temperature/electricity sensitivity issues. Plus, it is really frustrating to clean up after something that shoots poop 5 feet across the room at will or tries to die at every power outage. Hamsters were fun, but smelly and rough on kids with asthma. IME, Rabbits bite and hated everyone, equally (I rehomed to rabbit people super fast).

We had a crawfish for a year or so, he was pretty cool and easy to maintain. I accidently disturbed his den clearing brush in winter, so owed him a safe home until he reached maturity. We had a "Bon Voyage" party for him when he returned to the river.