View Single Post
ninosqueridos 08:38 AM 01-18-2011
I thought this ad was hysterical! I thought about replying and offering my services, but I don't think I'd meet this parent's standards. Just thought I'd share.....

Here is the ad:
I am looking for someone to help with my almost 2-year-old son from 9am-1pm, M-F. This will be at the public library, where I will be working in another room. I will also consider alternative arrangements at your home.

I am looking for a cross between a big brother/big sister and a tutor for my son.
Applicants can be either male or female. Previous experience with children is a must. Looking to start ASAP.

My son has recently become very interested in learning to read and I am trying to run with it while he is willing. He currently knows about 10 letter sounds and “reads” them whenever he sees a book, magazine, street sign, store display, anything… I would want us to work together to help him reach his full potential.

Each day you are with him I would like you to do the following, while he is interested. Each activity need only be done for a few minutes each day:

reinforce the “letter of the day”
review the letters he already knows
work on sounding out 2-letter combinations (“am”, “me”, “no”, etc.)
introduce simple 3-letter sight words that use combination of these letters (“dog”, “cat”, etc. – be prepared to draw the picture and write the word)
count things in the room
point out colors and shapes

To occupy the rest of the morning, you can:

read to him (favorite)
have conversations with him
play with blocks
play with puzzles
play with toy cars and motorcycles (another favorite)
play nerf baseball, nerf soccer, nerf swordfighting
play “fight” in general
sing songs/nursery rhymes “happy birthday”, “twinkle twinkle little star”, “where is thumbkin?”, etc.
play toy musical instruments and dance (yet another favorite)

If you have an idea for a craft or a simple game and need supplies, we can probably figure out a way to get them.

You guys can have lunch at noon and I will pick him up at 1pm. That realistically makes the working window more like 9am-12pm.

Each day, I will want you to jot down a couple of bullet-points about his reading progress/level of interest in a journal that I will provide. I will review these notes as I choose the next “letter of the day”.

Pay will be $140/wk. Please note: I maintain a “no screens” rule with my son. This means no TV, no video games and no computer. In addition, please avoid cell phone calls/texting during working hours.