View Single Post
knoxmomof2 05:06 AM 05-20-2017
I've only been in this for 4.5 years. I got in out of necessity since we needed a 2nd income, but DH's work schedule was so erratic that I couldn't commit to an outside work schedule - and it needed to allow me to continue homeschooling my 2 children (then, ages 8 and 9).

I had been working as a caregiver for Seniors in their homes and also volunteering in the church nursery for 4 years, so I had a decent amount of personal references to get started. In my state, you can keep less than 5 without needing a license, so I put an ad up on Craigslist and thought "what the heck, we'll see what happens."

I didn't expect to be here 4 years later. I thought I would be lucky to keep 1 dependable client that paid me on time (my Mom babysat when I was a kid and I remember her not getting paid, or having to track down parents because they didn't pick their kids up one night!!) So, I didn't expect to have a "full house" (for me). I didn't expect to have referrals being sent my way by church friends or former clients just as I'm about to advertise an open spot. I didn't expect to have people wanting more spots than I have open! I'm not flooded with business, but the timing always seems to work out. ☺️ That being said, I've been daily rate / pay as you go. I signed my first full rate clients last Fall.

I didn't expect to charge full rate, I thought it was unkind, but I eventually "got it" about the time that everyone started taking days off left and right! I've honored my rate for my first families that started with me - I've had their children since the beginning, they gave me the experience I will need to be able to charge those full time rates for years to come. ☺️

I didn't expect 40 year old, college-educated professionals to have the social graces and boundaries of a baboon! Oh my word!

I didn't expect to have to ask for payment when they had no problem asking my to be open at 6:15, or to pick up an hour late! I didn't expect to have to create payment deadlines and refuse care if not paid.

I didn't expect to interview the parents as much as they're interviewing me! I get it!

I didn't expect to have parents linger to visit with me for 45 minutes while I'm trying to manage 4 little ones, or stand in my driveway visiting with another parent for 20 minutes!? Or sit in their car on their phone for 10 minutes after I've kept their child for 10 hours that day! My last 2 "foundation" families will be leaving within a year. I've established policies on the key things and let the other things ride but new clients will start with a Parent Handbook of policies. This forum has given me the support to do what I need to in order to do this for as long as it continues to suit my family's needs.