View Single Post
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:15 AM 03-31-2015
I sooo understand what you are saying!! This is a dance I feel like I do all the time. If you look at my facebook page (MrsSteinelsHouse) you will see that over the past year I have changed- and even in the past couple of months I feel like I have hit another level.

Play based- child led is where I am heading. I try to think about it as "what can I put out that is going to provide them the opportunity to explore?' I change out toys and what is in the playroom so they have different opportunities. Sometimes they ask for something specific and I try to provide that. I really have been trying to listen to the kids and figure out what each one needs. So 5 yr old- some writing and letters but through play for the most part. He is also the one that has the hardest time just playing so sometimes it is just questions for him. How high do you think you can stack those? etc to get him started. 1 1/2 year old it has been helping her get the sorting blocks through the holes and I say the shapes names a lot! 3 yr olds- social skills They are really working on playing together and it is awesome! 4 yr old - read Humpty Dumpty on my fb I really have been trying to think of them as individuals and not a group. So if 1 1/2 yr old and 3 yr old want to paint - great it doesn't have to be a group thing.

Right now I pulled out a bunch of spring books. I read as they ask or as I feel like doing it. I have out dishes and food. A couple of building manipulatives. Small people and pooh figures. Easter eggs, Mr Potato Head, cars and trains... stacking cups (they are always out) pom poms are going to be back there today too. That is one of their favorite small parts! Before 9 am they play and eat breakfast. After 9 the table is generally available so they may play play doh or paint or cut, glue etc.

Outside is king especially this time of year! So if we can be outside we are. Now, this has changed over the years in appearance depending on who is in my group. If I have 3 under 2 then walks and play on the patio where it is easy for me to have pack and plays etc. But right now I have all walkers and it is up in the back yard- generally digging in the dirt! But, like I said this has varied over the years depending on the group. I try to be outside an hour in the morning and at least an hour in the afternoon.

Hope this helps some. I feel that my job is to set up the environment for them and then let them explore!

*and I always have something "up my sleeve" in case if the day is not moving along nicely- ie sidewalk chalk, a bucket of odd things, tape and things to tape (a favorite) a GREAT new book, etc