View Single Post
happymom 03:31 PM 11-30-2015
My 7 week old has been in daycare for two weeks now. I send him 3 prepared bottles of about 3ish oz pumped milk each day, so all daycare has to do is warm and feed.

The breastfeeding guidelines say he should have 1-1.25oz of breastmilk for each hour he is away, so I have been sending the low end of that (9oz for 8.5 hours) --- he is dropped off with a full belly and he nurses as soon as we get home.

I take the bottles home and wash/refill each day. 4 out of his 7 days in care so far he was sent home full bottle that he was never offered. These days he has only had 6oz of milk. He is sleeping through his morning (10:30am) feeding and not being fed until 12pm (I drop off at 8:30), and only 1 day so far he has drank all of the milk I have sent. I'd rather send too much milk than not enough.

The daycare uses a form that asks how many oz to feed him (3oz), how many hours between feedings (2-3hrs) and whether to wake him from a nap to feed him (no). My daycare is super accomodating and will really do any kind of feeding requests (within reason I'm sure).

So I know it's a parental discression thing, but should I change his chart so that he will be awoken to eat in the morning or just let him be and if he only finishes 6oz so-be-it? I'm sure he'd let them know if he was over hungry....right?

He's not a typical 1 month old either. He is awake long stretches and sleeps long stretches. It's not uncommon for him to sleep or be awake for a 5-7 hour stretch. I just don't know whether to trust my gut or trust what the breastfeeding sources say....also my mom and mom friends are appauled that he isn't being fed nearly often enough. What do you think?