View Single Post
Texasjeepgirl 10:59 AM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As a follow-up to this original post...I chose to stay with the provider in light of the situation because I felt that my personal differences with the provider should not impact my daughters care (and she seems to be happy with the other children).

In the past year that my daughter has attended this daycare, I have paid the full-time rate though my daughter only attends three days per week. This agreement was made because I was told that although the provider does not do part-time rates, I would have the option of bringing my daughter up to 5 days per week if needed. I have taken my daughter a maximum of 5 extra days in the last year, and usually only for two or three hours. Otherwise I have kept to my 3 day/week schedule.

In November I notified the provider that I would be needing one extra day per week (4 days/wk total) for 3 or 4 weeks when my parents go on vacation. I was told that this was no problem. Last week, when I showed up to pick up my daughter, I was told that I would need to plan on paying $20/day extra for each day that I use the provider. When I asked about the fact that I am already paying the full-time rate, she informed me that her rates changed and now I will have to pay.

Another relative of mine takes their child to this daycare, so I asked if they had been informed of this rate change. They had not, and continue to pay the same amount that I had been paying although their daughter routinely attends 4 days/week. I am feeling like I am being taken advantage of. The provider has the right to change rates I realize, however it seems that if she is going to change rates they should be across the board and I should be notified in advance rather than one week before I pay her for the following month. Is this normal practice in in-home daycares? Or, do most places notify families in advance of rate changes?

My daughter is my absolute top priority and although she seems happy, there seem to be so many issues coming up with this provider. I am trying to be compromising but feel like I am being walked on instead.
I can't answer to the issue of why your provider has chosen to charge you more for the additional day....especially in light of the fact that you are aware of the rate your relative is being charged.

Speaking for myself, I must confess that I have been guilty of 'not going up' on a current customer...
I hate to go up on my fee with a client.

What I choose to do is increase my rate on any new clients.
I increase my rate each year in January.
I have 3 parents that are currently paying rates from year before last.
I've increased my rate twice since these children were enrolled.
These parents will continue to pay that rate until the children leave me, for preschool or whatever reason they leave my care.
I currently have one family that has two children.
The younger child started out at the infant rate.
When the younger child turned 18 months, I decreased the rate from the infant rate to the OVER 18 month rate...however...my rates just increased in January. Which means they are paying 1 amount per week for the older child, and another rate per week for the younger child...even though both children are now in the OVER 18 month bracket.
I clearly explained this to the parent..they completely understood and were fine with the rate change.
I guess you could say they are getting a 'sibling' discount...although not exactly.
I suppose the proper business choice would be to give notice to all parents each year that my rates will increase in January.

On another note, I appreciate everything that you have said regarding your respect to this provider.
It sounds as though she isn't very great at communication or business practices. That's a shame, but, ultimately I think you did the right thing by paying her while she was off work.
If she is a great child care provider for your child, and your child enjoys her daycare, then I think I'd stay with her.
I have a very dear friend in the child care business. She is a wonderful child care provider...she loves her kids...they love her...but...she is not great with the business end...she's not great with communicating all of her policies to her parents from DAY 1 of enrollement, and so therefore she ends up with lots of problems...repeat problems with parents...payment...drop off and pick up times...etc..
It's really a shame...so perhaps this is your child care provider's problem also.
But, try to remember, she is only human...just as you are.
She actually might benefit from this forum also.