Thread: No Appreciation
View Single Post
jen 07:28 AM 06-17-2010
Just a thought about appreciation...

When I worked outside the home I had a boss tell me something that has really stuck with me.

"If I don't know about it, you may as well not do it."

When you think about it, it makes alot of sense. In our world they should KNOW all the things we do for their kids, but in reality they probably don't think much about it until there is something that isn't going well. It's easy to spot the problems.

I guess my point is, if you are feeling unappreciated ask yourself if you are communicating enough with the parents.

Do they know how hard you are woking with little Johnny to learn the alphabet? How about those nutritous meals you are serving? Are they aware that you don't served canned foods or processed meals? When was the last time you reminded them?

Here is what I do to communicate with my families:

At the end of the day I take a couple minutes to chat with whoever picks up. We do a lot of Spanish at my house so I might say, "Look Max, it's Madre!" Then I would say to Mom, "oh we're working on family in Spanish! He's doing SO well."

At the end of the day I send out a quick email with "Four Things" in the subject line. Then I list the 4 biggest things of the day. Yesterday it looked like this:

1. Travel Tot's came today! It was awesome! The kids especially loved making volcanos!

2. Story Time: We read "_______" and "_______"

3. Outside Play time! We built sandcastles!!!

4. Rojo Light/Verde Light! The are really mastering their colors! Both in English & Spanish!!!

Breakfast:
Lunch:
Snack:

It only takes me a few minutes, parents love it, and it is hard to be unappreciative when you really see what we do each day.

Every couple of weeks I send out pictures via snapfish so they can get a look at how much we really are doing and how much their kids are loving it!