View Single Post
nannyde 02:38 PM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
If you are terminating because of your own medical issue I would still not put the reason in writing. You would tell the parent verbally what is going on (without sacrificing more of your own privacy than you want).

The basic reason for not putting reasons in writing is that it won't help you and it can hurt you. I do believe that parents may still be insulted or make complaints whether or not you put reasons in writing, but when you put it in writing it's out there for the parent to stew over and show to others (including licensing).

I haven't heard of licensing giving providers a hard time because they didn't put reasons in writing. You can keep your own written records of your reasons without sharing it with parents.

I haven't heard of parents filing discrimination cases against providers. I'm just trying to reduce the incidents of complaints and parent anger which can be even more incited when something is in writing.

I'm all for working with parents to make things work out - talking, negotiating, sharing your reasons verbally for what needs to change, etc. In the end, after you have made your decision to terminate, it's best (in my opinion) not to spell things out. The time for communication and explanation is over.

Some providers feel driven to explain their reasons for what they do in the hopes that the parent will understand and agree with them. You don't have to justify everything you do. Some parents will never agree with you and no amount of explaining will help the situation.
Thanks for answering my questions Tom. I've done hundreds of hours searching the ADA and home child care and I can't find a single thing. I think they solve a lot just over the phone. When you call the DOJ and ask questions they can be a bit intimidating so I can imagine that most providers who are contacted by them give in fairly easily. Chain Centers are a different story because they have a lot to loose, a lot to spend, and a lot of staff. They are usually the ones in the lawsuits.

You are so right about not putting reasons on termination forms. I have only had to terminate a hand full of times and I don't provide any documentation at all to the parents. I do it verbally. I do keep records though in case I get inspected based on a complaint filed post termination. I have that stuff ready to go before I terminate because the inspectors can show up the next day if they don't have any big fires to put out in the field.

I DO think documentation for behavioral issues SHOULD be given to parents. It's so important to the continuity of care for the child. The receiving provider can use this documentation and the health care professionals can use it in their assessments.

Some providers feel driven to explain their reasons for what they do in the hopes that the parent will understand and agree with them. You don't have to justify everything you do. Some parents will never agree with you and no amount of explaining will help the situation.

YES this is very common. Some of it is to get them to understand... some to get them to agree... and some to be "right" and be heard. Often this is the first time the provider has REALLY been honest with the client on how they feel. Termination time is NOT a time to be right. I try hard to be humble and giving to lessen the blow even when that's terribly hard to do.

Often the reasons for terminating are multi layered and difficult to sum up into one reason. It's best to keep it short and sweet because in the end they are going to be upset and there's no good to be had in making the division deeper than necessary ESPECIALLY if you are going to keep the kid during a notice time.