View Single Post
cheerfuldom 02:31 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
I am fairly new to the forum. And I have been in the business for more than 24 years so I have to be doing something right. BUT, I am astonished at the way many of the providers here are all "business" and jump all over someone that might want to give a parent the benefit of the doubt now and again. That might want to try to help make things a little smoother for a parent that is overwhelmed. That sees it as part of their job to put the "family" back in to family day care. That sees the relationship between parent and provider as a partnership and not as a dictatorship. It seems I am seriously in the minority here.
I think you should stick around longer. you say you are new and surprised by those that have a business only mentality but stick around, you will see a huge variety of ideas!

like I am normally business only but I have done PLENTY of extras for parents over the years. Taking kids on the weekends. Parents getting stuck in the weather and I have kept kids overnight or driven kids home. I definitely go the extra mile if I at all can but like others said, its a judgement call. if I have to make a decision, I do err on the business side because unfortunately, too many parents take advantage if you are too kind. That has been my experience. If yours is different and you havent had the issues I have had, that is WONDERFUL but that does not mean that other people are not free to voice their opinion or to run their business as they see fit.