View Single Post
Lucy 09:12 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
I am fairly new to the forum. And I have been in the business for more than 24 years so I have to be doing something right. BUT, I am astonished at the way many of the providers here are all "business" and jump all over someone that might want to give a parent the benefit of the doubt now and again. That might want to try to help make things a little smoother for a parent that is overwhelmed. That sees it as part of their job to put the "family" back in to family day care. That sees the relationship between parent and provider as a partnership and not as a dictatorship. It seems I am seriously in the minority here.
That's how I run my daycare. I've said on here many times that I like it to be as if my nieces and nephews were coming over for the day. It's not rigid and structured. I DO have rules, don't get me wrong. The kids KNOW they don't get away with things. I INSIST on kindness - please / thank you, etc. They need to keep the noise down, and I encourage them to work out arguments with each other. And I take every opportunity to teach them things. It doesn't have to be a written or thought out lesson plan, I just take opportunities as they come up. And they come up ALL DAY LONG. You'd be surprised how much you can teach them just with daily life.

As far as making things easier on the parents... sure I do that when I can. If I can't, I say so. I won't be taken advantage of, but if it's something I don't mind doing, I'm willing to do it.

I have a boy (10) who goes to football practice 3 evenings a week and doesn't get home till after 7:00. So I give him a mini dinner at 4:30 before he goes, then mom gives him another mini dinner when he gets home. I have a girl today (9yrs) who didn't feel good. I called mom and said she could stay here in another room with books and barbies till Dad could come at 11:00. I drive the PM Kindergarteners to school (2 blocks) because our district took our busses away. Over the summer, I took some of them to/from VBS and basketball camp.

I understand that it's not the way everyone runs their program, and that's great! But it's the way I roll. I can't see myself doing it any other way...

There's TONS of stuff I read on here that I don't agree with. When I first joined, I used to debate it. But it's really not worth it. I take the good (yes, I've adopted some stuff I've read on here, for which I'm very greatful!) and roll my eyes at the ridiculous. C'est la vie.