View Single Post
newtodaycare22 06:21 PM 12-08-2010
I've never had direct experience with Montessori students (only what I've read in research)...but I personally think it would be more confusing than teaching letters and then sounds. Obviously, it works for some kids (since kids in these schools come out just fine).

Letters and then sounds is what I've learned in every psych. and educ. class I've taken. It seems like a logical progression to me, and clearly I've seen it work as well.

Kids process concrete thoughts (and have a hard time with the abstract), so being able to see "A" before learning the 'a' sound gives them something visual to relate it to.
Again, I don't think it'd be impossible the other day, but I've very pleased with the results I've seen from the other (more typical) instruction.

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
newtodaycare, I'm curious. With your educational background (particularly that almost-reading degree!) what's your take on the Montessori approach to reading, of teaching the sounds before the names of the letters? Although I am not a Montessori expert, I admit to being highly intrigued by this approach and Montessori schools seem to have a lot of success with this. What's your professional opinion?