View Single Post
mommyneedsadayoff 08:17 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by cosmos:
My son is 2 and has a speech delay. He can speak but he's about six months behind on where he should be with his verbal communication skills. He has a speech therapist and we are doing all we can to help him catch up. I was advised that putting him in daycare a couple times a week could really help him so that's what I did. However the daycare he attends keeps giving me cause for concern.

My biggest complaint is that he has way too many teachers. There is no permanent or consistent teacher around him. Its as if the center director makes the teachers switch rooms multiple times a day or only has employees there for a few hours and then brings in someone else. I don't think this is good for my son because not all the teachers understand his situation and are willing to work with him on his verbal skills.

Is it normal for a daycare to switch teachers between rooms so frequently?
Kind of bugs me when they do this One on one communication with a care giver or parent, as well as social outings in the community are great ways for him to learn how to speak. I understand that they feel a larger group of kids may help him learn by watching them, but going to daycare a few days a week, especially for a child who is used to staying home with mom, can also be quite a change and traumatic for them. And if he is in a room with kids his own age, he may not be getting enough language stimulation, because, well, they are ALL learning how to talk (being around older children who speak well would be better...multi age groups can be very helpful as young learn by watching the older) NOT saying this is your case, but sometimes a center with a revolving door of teachers and kids is not the best way to improved speech or development in general.

I would do as above posters said and consider an in home daycare wit a more personal approach and possibly more ability for one on one time and int he meantime, I would make sure you literally say everything you are doing when with him. When cooking, playing, grocery shopping, using the bathroom or changing diapers...say what you are doing and talk, talk, talk to him It will do wonders for him just to hear you and to see the correlation between words and actions. Good luck to you!