View Single Post
e.j. 11:22 AM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by HL0605:
I agree. I've done this for ten years, and have had a lucky run in the past few years to either have kids with parents who prioritize good sleep habits, or little ones who start at 3-4 months and I can make sure they learn good nap habits. The idea of an eleven month old who is only rocked or strolled to sleep seems like a recipe for trouble. This will be made worse by the fact that I only have one day a week available now, and won't have more days for her until summer.

I do have a trial period of two weeks. I have never called after a certain amount of crying for pick up, though. Have you done this in the past? How long is reasonable?

This person is a friend of a current client and while I wasn't looking to fill any spot just yet, they have been very interested and eager to start attending. The only concern I have is the sleeping, but it's kind of a big concern and I want to make sure I do a good job explaining the importance of nap time peace, but in a graceful way. A policy that is clear is probably the best way to do that.
Personally, I wouldn't take her on. Being at your house for only one day a week won't allow her to get used to sleeping in a crib. You can bet, she'll still be sleeping in a stroller at home for the rest of the week because it's easier for mom. If you value nap time as a chance to catch up on things and take a break, know that chances are good you aren't going to get that with this child.

If you decide to take her on, I'd be very frank with the mother and I would let her know she will have to pick her child up any time she is too disruptive during nap time. I'd be sure to call her every time until the problem is resolved.