Thread: At What Age?
View Single Post
Unregistered 11:21 AM 01-08-2020
At what age should a child be able to be laid down for nap and not scream/cry excessively until they fall asleep? I have a 19 month old who immediately stands up after I put him down for nap and proceeds to scream and cry until he falls asleep. He almost always wakes doing the same thing. All other children I have in care, including a 13 month old either lay quietly or babble until they fall asleep. Do the same when they wake.
I will be asking mom today at pickup (again) to very specifically tell me how they handle this at home. In the past mom has said that he doesn't really do that for them, but I have a hard time believing that since it is an every day occurrence here. She has mentioned that they go in and reassure him that everything is okay and rub his back. I have tried this, but have found it only prolongs the screaming. I feel like when go in, he is expecting to be picked up then gets even more upset when that doesn't happen.
I guess I am needing advice as to what I can say to mom. Is it normal for some kids to still do this at this age or more of a learned behavior?